Call for Workshops, Postdocs and Sabbaticals at iDiv (Leipzig, Gemany)
sDiv, the Synthesis Centre of iDiv* (Leipzig, Germany) has opened a new call for Workshops, Postdocs and Sabbaticals to be held at iDiv, starting June 2015.
For more information, please visit: http://www.idiv.de/sdiv/calls
NEW CIEE CALL FOR PROPOSALS!
The Canadian Institute of Ecology and Evolution seeks proposals for Thematic Programs (Working Groups) to be staged over the 12 month period from January 2015 to December 2015. Thematic Program proposals should outline a plan to address significant questions in ecology and evolution through synthesis and integration of existing data (e.g., quantitative research synthesis, compilation and meta-analysis of existing data sets, etc.)
Program applicant(s) will define the project or course scope, schedule meeting dates, prepare a budget, and submit a final report to the CIEE. The proposals will also oversee prompt publication of project results.
Working group meetings can be held at any location in Canada, however preference will be given to meetings hosted at member organizations. In addition, the CIEE provides facilities and logistic support at the Synthesis Centre of the Institute of Environmental Change and Society (IECS), in the University of Regina. These 6,500 sq-ft research facilities include dedicated meeting facilities, break-out rooms, a microcomputer laboratory, and on-campus housing, and are available every year during the summer period 01 May to 31 August.
Proposals can be submitted in either official language and should be comprised of the following:
1. A cover page including the project title, name and complete contact information for the organizer(s), and project summary (max. 300 words), suitable for public circulation.
2. A one-page, single-spaced narrative that includes: an introduction to the project goals; description of the activities, and as appropriate, the source of the data to be synthesized and methods of analysis; IT needs; expected outcome(s); importance to Canada.
3. A list of participants, with a brief summary of their expertise. Programs should involve 10 to 15 participants, including one or more graduate students. Indicate which individuals have committed to the project and which are potential participants.
4. A budget including logistics and transportation. In the past, working groups were awarded grants valued from $10,000 to $17,000.
5. A copy of NSERC’s Form 100 or equivalent for the organizer(s).
Deadline: Submit the full proposal as a single Adobe pdf file by 15 October 2014 to: email@example.com
Proposals should be clear and concise about project goals, procedures and anticipated outcomes. The CIEE is a national organization; therefore organizers should aim for geographic diversity and gender balance among the participants. Foreign participants are welcome.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the CIEE director, Peter Leavitt, and the Assistant Director, Diego Steinaker, with any questions, including those on content, budget and facilities.
Peter R. Leavitt
Director, Canadian Institute of Ecology and Evolution
The CIEE will grow as it adds partners from coast to coast. CIEE achieves its mission principally through funding from, and co-operation among, a consortium of Canadian institutions. Each member university pays annual membership fees assessed on a sliding scale according to their NSERC Discovery Grant program funding in ecology and evolution. No overhead is charged, so all of the funding obtained from member organizations is used for direct support of CIEE scientific programs, whereas in-kind contributions help maintain staff and synthesis facilities. As a result, the more members we have, the more activities we can support.
To increase our membership, we are seeking CIEE members’ at all Canadian universities to act as representatives and liaisons to their local administration. Through its membership, your institution will: 1) facilitate access to CIEE’s scientific programs for your faculty and highly qualified personnel, 2) gain a seat on the management board that sets the mandate and direction of the CIEE, and 3) play a pivotal role in shaping the future of ecology and evolution in Canada. We are always looking for new representatives, so please, do not hesitate to contact us for additional information.